Friday, March 30, 2012

"Gimbels Has It!" by Michael J. Lisicky

The first book I ever read about a specific department store was Michael J. Lisicky's "Wanamaker's: Meet Me at the Eagle." I was impressed with both his writing style and research, and now this department store historian has turned his attention to another retail legend in his newest release, "Gimbels Has It!" I knew just a bit about the history of the stores: that the founder was from Indiana and that the Gimbels store in New York City was one of four early Gimbels locations; the others were in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Milwaukee, and later there were numerous branch stores as well. Lisicky has once again done a terrific job of weaving together all the random threads that exist in a retail store's history, and now I have a good grasp of both the legacy and reach of the Gimbels enterprise.

While you might recall that Gimbels and Macy's were rival retailers in the movie "Miracle on 34th Street," you might not know (unless you're from Philadephia), that the Philadelphia Gimbels Thanksgiving Day Parade is actually the country's oldest and largest. It dates to 1920, while the Macy's parade in New York didn't start until 1924. (The Philadelphia parade still exists but with a different sponsor today.) I also find it ironic that Gimbels, known for its bargain basement and budget pricing, actually purchased Saks & Co., which we now know as Saks Fifth Avenue--and that the store near Macy's was once commonly known as Saks-Thirty-Fourth Street. Just doesn't have the same ring to it!

Of course the foods served and sold at Gimbels, in their restaurants and delis, were of great interest to me. I've read about two different potato salads associated with Gimbels, the French style, which I've tried and enjoyed, and the German potato salad, for which Lisicky includes a recipe. Other recipes in the book include Gimbels Bran Muffins, Wisconsin Cheese Torte and the Gimbels Prize Sandwich, a ham and Swiss cheese treat which apparently had lots of fans.

Like other retail giants Gimbels was the victim of changing times and changing shopping habits, and the last branch of the store closed its doors in 1987. I never had the pleasure of shopping at Gimbels, but for those who did, and for anyone who appreciates retail history, Lisicky's book is well worth a read.

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to read this book! Thanks for your wonderful blog[s].

    ReplyDelete