
My research into the department store restaurants and tea rooms of yesteryear continues, and this week I received the latest vintage postcard to add to my collection, one from Chicago's Carson Pirie Scott department store in 1906!

I love the elegant columns shown on this card written Dec. 28, 1906. It reads, "Dear Meta, Do you see me at one of these tables lunching? I hope you had a fine Xmas. With regards, Dr. Patrick." (At least that's what it looks like to me.) The recipient was a Meta Pillsbury in Illinois. I wonder if she was related to
those Pillsburys.

In related news, I also came across a well-loved copy of the 1962 cookbook "Look Who's Cookin' at Carson's!" compiled and published by the Carson Pirie Scott Women's Club. I've got to dig a bit deeper to see if any of the book's recipes were actually used in the restaurant or whether they were simply favorites of the women's club. At any rate, it has recipes for treats like $200 Red Cake (which sounds like Red Velvet), Hershey Bar Chocolate Pie (calls for six 5-cent Hershey bars), and something very intriguing called Broken Glass Torte. It doesn't call for any broken glass, thank goodness, but it does involve making three different colors of Jell-O and layering them in the torte. May have to try that one, and when I do you know you'll see it here!
No comments:
Post a Comment