Friday, January 13, 2012

Strawbridge & Clothier teacup

Naturally, after I finished writing "Dainty Dining" last year I came across even more memorabilia pertaining to America's old department store tea rooms. I recently located a dessert cookbook from Strawbridge & Clothier in Philadelphia, so expect to see a recipe or two out of that in the near future! Meanwhile, I've added to my department store teacup collection with this cup and saucer from the store.

I really liked the pretty handle on this teacup. It sort of reminds me of the bow-shaped handle on this department store's teacup.

Why were things so much prettier back then? Tiny roses, scallops, gilded edges. It's impossible to find new things with this much detail.

This set is marked Limoges, France, and I recently got a book on Limoges china so I can bone up on it. Meanwhile I'll enjoy sipping out of a teacup that recalls a bit of America's delightful retail history.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, that is a beautiful set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hellooooooooooo i´m mar, from north of spain, i like your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete