Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas shopping at "lost" department stores

This is my sweet friend Deberah, who is the dear friend (and talented co-worker) who is responsible for the cover and book design of "Dainty Dining." Since that project was something of an achievement for both of us this year, I decided her 2011 Christmas gift should be something related to the book and/or old department stores.


Happily, it's pretty easy to "shop vintage" online, and from one seller I found a still-in-the-box set of Marshall Field and Company vintage napkins. My friend loves pretty fabric napkins, and I knew she would "get" the reference, and she did!

I gave her some Assam tea since that is one of her favorites, and I also gave her a teacup and saucer from Burdines in Miami, which is featured in the book (and pictured in last week's post). I love knowing the provenance of these vintage goodies, and it made me very happy that these made my friend happy. I've also learned that while the stores themselves may be gone, it is indeed still quite possible to "shop them" at Christmastime!

No comments:

Post a Comment