Friday, November 11, 2011

The Dishes of "Dainty Dining"

Welcome to the Dainty Dining Blog! This will be the home of all the latest news about my book "Dainty Dining," and it's also where I'll be sharing all the new things I learn about department store tea rooms. Topics will include the latest tea room recipes I have tried, tea room artifacts and memorabilia I've collected, and department store books I have read. I plan to post something new every Friday, sometimes more often if there's a new book signing or other event to tell you about.

This week, I thought my fellow "dish detectives" might enjoy hearing the stories behind some of the restaurant ware and china that appear in "Dainty Dining." My sentimental favorite would have to be this Syracuse China oval plate, which is pictured in the chapter on the Higbee Company. I got interested in restaurant ware earlier this year and came across this plate for a few dollars at an antique mall in north Georgia. When it came time to photograph the Higbee Cinnamon Muffins I made for the book, this is the plate I decided to use.

Later, after the photo of the muffins was taken, I finally managed to locate a copy of the out-of-print book "The Silver Grille," which was the name of the tea room at the Higbee department store. I was reading along in the book when I turned a page and there was a photo of this very pattern of restaurant ware, distinctive because its design matches that of a border in the tea room. Quite unknowingly, I had managed to pair the Higbee muffins with Higbee department store china!



Appearing in the background of a photo in the book is this Lenox teacup from Seattle's Frederick & Nelson department store. While I don't have any reason to believe this set was used in the store's tea room, I do think it's a pretty shade of shell pink, and I enjoy knowing it came from Frederick & Nelson!



This Limoges plate with a band of pink roses is from Gimbel Brothers. Was it the Gimbels in New York, or perhaps the one in Milwaukee? I have no way of knowing and simply like it as a piece associated with the Gimbels name. I have a few more "dish stories" to share, but I'll save those for another day. If you have any china or restaurant ware that came from a department store or its tea room, I'd love to hear about it!

1 comment:

  1. Angela, I just opened my mail and found your book. It's truly delightful - I'm so happy for you!!! Congratulations on a wonderful book!

    ReplyDelete